Sunday, August 1, 2010

Greenville Mississippi

I promised I would tell you some about where we are living. So here it is! For the next 2 years we will be living in a little town called Greenville in Mississippi. Brent is going to be teaching in Lake Village in Arkansas about 20 minutes away. We opted to live in Greenville for many reasons. For one they actually have things, i.e. a grocery store. There are also people here and places to live for a decent price. All in all we are happy with our decision to live here and have enjoyed it so far. Here are some things about Greenville:

The water is brown. Brent claims that it is safe to drink but it scares me half to death. I guess I developed a water complex after living in Thailand where we couldn’t drink the water. I have got up the gumption to drink some. I don’t particularly like the taste of it but I guess it’s time to deal with it.

The people are awesome. Everyone is extremely friendly. We have had a few encounters while we’ve been out where we have ended up talking to strangers for hours. Southern hospitality. It’s a real deal.

There are some really cool little areas around here. There is what is called a Cypress Slough (pronounced slew) about 15 seconds from our apartment. It’s a marshy area where the cypress trees grow out of the water. There are places like this all around. It really is beautiful. Here are some pictures of the one next to our apartment.

The green stuff is actually water. It just has a layer of something on top (not sure what it is).



I just can’t wait until we find an alligator in it. Our one alligator hunt didn’t end up producing any alligators for us. My one goal is to see one before we leave.

Fried foods. Need I say more? So far we have had blackened catfish, fried catfish, fried oysters, fried shrimp, hush puppies, and of course my favorite, fried frog legs. Yum!

I have learned that plenty of people don’t really speak English down here. I am not really sure what language they are speaking. All I know is that I do not understand.

Walmart has now become my favorite store. I was never much of a walmart shopper but I almost live there now. Greenville, as big as it is, has the one movie theater within a 50 mile radius. It has a mall that has a total of 3 stores in it. I have yet to find a craft store or any fabric stores that I dare go into. Well at least I won’t be tempted to shop while we are here!

We are looking forward to the fall when we can go outside for thirty seconds without sweating out all the water we drank in the last 24 hours. We really are having a great time learning to make new friends and navigating a new place. Here are some pictures of Brinley since we have been here.





At Walmart on a futon couch. She loved it.

We miss you all and can’t wait until we see you again!

6 comments:

  1. Bryson and I are sitting here reading your post and missing you guys. This morning Skyler, Taylor and Bryson said "Oh we are going to miss Brinley, Christa and Brent at the baby blessing." We love you guys. Sounds like a huge adventure and that's what life is all about. Brinley is WAY WAY WAY CUTE! Tell her the girls miss her!

    I vote do not drink the water. In Cali I just filled up milk jugs at the store w purified water it was cheap and safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my, Brinley is SUCH a doll!! She looks so much like Brent! Can't wait to hear about your guys' adventures :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Britney looks so happy to be with her mommy and daddy!! Looks cool. can't wait to come for a visit. and you are good- I would just do more online shopping :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Britney? You would think my own sister knows my daughter's name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, I meant Brinley!!I don't even know how I did that one, the t and l aren't even close. sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that cypress slough is awesome! I love it. I don't envy the humidity and heat, you guys are awesome!!!
    Christa, what crafty things can I send you? I am cleaning out my basement, seriously, so please tell me what you are wanting! Fabric? paper, let me know!

    ReplyDelete