Tuesday, February 7, 2012

ROUS (Rodent of Unusual Size)

This is what our apartment looked like last night:


The only thing that could flip everything upside down like this would be the presence of a RAT.  Yes, a rat.  Not a measly little mouse, but a giant gray rat.  And yes, he was big.

Here is the story. Two days ago we heard a scratching sound in one of our walls.  We went to bed and when we woke up the next morning we found traces of rat everywhere.  Even next to our bed.  It's okay to cringe now. I certainly did.

We set up barricades and had a stake out until we knew where he was.  We found his hole:


Back behind the oven.  We set up a video camera baby monitor so we could see where he was going and what he was doing.  Brent stood silent next to the oven for about 20 minutes until he came out. Of course he ran away into our living room and under our couch.

So we set up more barricades.  A glass wall leading to the kitchen:


We opened the front door and cleared a pathway.  We armed ourselves with a mom and a broom. I put on my tough face.

Brent flipped the couch and out he ran.  Straight into the glass.  Birds aren't the only ones.  Brent gave him a wacking or two, in the process breaking the corner of the glass from our coffee table. A small price to pay.  The rat jumped.  I probably screamed. Then he came towards me.  I gave him a licking too and then chased him straight out the front door.  Whew.

We celebrated.  I am not joking when I say that for the past two days I was constantly thinking about where he might be and what he might be putting his germs on.  It was good to get him out.

I spent all morning today mopping floors, vacuuming, and probably overusing a can of lysol. I learned that I might be hyper-paranoid when it comes to rodents living in my house.  Let's just say I am not planning on giving Brinley a pet rat anytime in the future.



5 comments:

  1. I'm with you! We had a rat in our garage in the last house and it was YUCKY. I'm glad you chased it out. xoxo
    E

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. That sounds awful. Rodents are my worst fear. I am amazed you actually were around to fight it off. I probably would have left the house and not come back until it was gone. blech. You are a strong woman :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say that Christa was a fierce huntress. She was great and gave that rat a good whack or two. She is the one that chased him out the front door. What a great night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow. I'm glad you got rid of it. way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reminds me of the time we had a bat in our apartment in Utah. John broke a lamp and put a hole in the wall with the end of a broom. I'm glad you got it out and everyone can rest easy now!

    ReplyDelete