Sunday, January 6, 2013

The Resolutionary Challenge

Wow.  It has officially been a long time since I have actually written a real blog post.  The last few months have been a whirlwind like I have never really experienced.  I have never felt quite so displaced and out of my element.  I have spent approximately 80% of my time the past few months working on our house, and approximately 99.9% of my mental energy worrying about it.  I have an extreme amount of focus that is either a really good thing, or a really bad thing.  I haven't decided yet which it is.     When I have something I am working on, or something I want to do, nothing else happens until that thing is finished.  For example, I have to pick wisely when I am going to decide to read a book, because once I start one, all of the time that I can possibly steal is devoted to finishing that book. So it has been with this house.  Everything else has fallen by the wayside because I seriously struggle to put any focus on more than one thing.  And. I. Am. Sick. Of. It.

So, why do I tell you all this?  I suppose with being a fresh new year I, as many people, have been trying to take a step back and look at myself to see where I want to improve.  I have been thinking a lot about goals and have some ideas of what direction I would like to start facing.  I hope to finish my goals here in the next couple of days.  But until then, I do have one goal I would like to share.  It's called:

The Resolutionary Challenge

One of my awesome sister in laws is heading the challenge this year, and so Brent and I are both going to do it.  You can read more about the details here, and YOU can join in if you would like to. It starts tomorrow, so get on it fast!

Basically the challenge is a way to motivate and keep us accountable for 7 different areas in our lives, including exercise, nutrition, cleanliness, and gratitude.  Points are allotted for doing different things, and each person keeps track of their points.  And of course, what is the point of a challenge if there is no reward in the end?  With a 20$ buy in, prizes are given throughout the challenge and at the end.

At first I didn't think I would do it because I didn't want to feel like someone else was dictating what I ought to be doing, or what my goals should be.  But, I realized that all of the challenges are things that should be a part of my life always, not just for a challenge.  I really want to build habits in our family that are lasting.  I love that it is 12 weeks long, giving us time to really turn these challenges into habits.   Most of the things we do to some extent already, but they all need improvement.

I am glad that I will have motivation to do the things that I want to be doing better anyway, and more importantly that I have someone to do it with.  I am looking forward to starting this tomorrow, and I hope that by the end it will fell less like a challenge and more of a way of life.


No comments:

Post a Comment