Thursday, October 21, 2010

Fort Worth, TX and Memphis, TN

What a whirlwind the past few days have been. On Saturday morning we got up before the sun and started a 7.5 hour drive to Fort Worth, Texas! Although we were only there until Sunday, it was well worth the trip. We went for the BYU vs TCU football game. It was great to see our team live and have a little taste of BYU, even though the game was not so pleasant to watch. Oh BYU, how I wish you would just figure out how to play football again. After the game we got to experience a little bit of a bigger city by going to Hobby Lobby. Seriously this was the only thing I really wanted to do in Texas. Greenville has one tiny fabric shop with a very small selection of fabrics and everything is overly priced. For example, I bought a package of pins the other day there, and they cost $8. Eight Dollars! Greenville also doesn’t have anything that resembles a craft store, and Walmart is limited in craft supplies. Thus hobby lobby was a must. Even though we drove 7.5 hours for a bad football game and a hobby lobby, it was totally worth it.

Here are some pictures from our trip:





Us and the Wall family. We caravaned with them on our trip.
Uh, are those lights sideways? A city we stopped by in Texas has all sideways lights.

Anyone hungry for some pizza on a stick?

We got home Sunday night, got unpacked Monday and then left early Tuesday morning for a day trip to Memphis. Brent had a Spanish teaching seminar there for the day so Brinley and I tagged along and spent the day exploring Memphis by ourselves. It was fun to get to walk around a big(ger) city. Memphis is an enchanting little city. Downtown is right on the banks of the Mississippi river. Memphis is known for it’s famous “Beale Street” which is a street full of blues music bars and stores and Elvis Presley paraphernalia. We enjoyed spending the day there exploring and want to go back again soon!

The city

Beale Street

It was a lot of fun spending sometime away from home, but I was surprised to find myself happy to be back in Greenville and to be home. I guess this place is starting to grow on me. Plus, Greenville is right in the middle of Memphis, Little Rock, and Jackson so at least it is comforting to know that some civilization is never more than a couple of hours away!

3 comments:

  1. you guys are wondeful! I love your optimistic spirit. I wish BYU would remember how to play football again too. Maybe next year?
    xo
    E

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously want to come visit you guys, and believe it or not I am totally jealous of this wonderful adventure you are having. If we come visit next summer for a bit, can we go exploring with you to the different cities?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You took some good pictures in Texas. I definitely should've taken more than I did. I love the pizza on a stick truck picture. Bretton and I were totally discussing that truck as we drove by it too, how funny!

    ReplyDelete