Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Help me!

Today I feel a renewed sense of purpose. I feel motivated to do something good. After a period of feeling down it's good to be on an upswing again. This quote from president Monson I read today has a lot to do with how I am feeling.

"To live greatly, we must develop the capacity to face trouble with courage, disappointment with cheerfulness, and triumph with humility. You ask, “How might we achieve these goals?” I answer, “By gaining a true perspective of who we really are!” We are sons and daughters of a living God, in whose image we have been created. Think of that: created in the image of God. We cannot sincerely hold this conviction without experiencing a profound new sense of strength and power."

This statement really does give me a renewed sense of strength and power and I want to do something with it. What better place then in my home with my child, the place I spend almost all of my time.

So now, I need your help. For the first 8 months or so of Brinley's life I was in school and in transition and was never really a "stay at home mom." Now since I have been in Mississippi I am pretty much the definition of the phrase. I don't really know how to do it though. I am not working, and just have all day to feed Brinley, bathe her, teach her and play with her, but sometimes what I am currently doing just doesn't feel like it's enough for both her and myself. My questions is, what types of things did you do (are doing, or will do) with your child so that your days were interactive and filled with meaningful activities? Brinley is 11 months old, crawling like crazy, getting into everything. I feel like I don't know what to do to stimulate her. Somehow our days are always full but I look back at the day and don't even know what we did! Any ideas from mommies or daddies or even future moms and dads would seriously be appreciated. Like I said I feel motivated to make some positive changes in what we do daily.

Also, what did you mom's do, or what do you think you will do as a mom for yourself each day? What type of hobbies, work, community service, or whatever are you able to do while spending all day with a baby? I would really love some input! Thanks!

Of course, here are some pictures of Brinley!







3 comments:

  1. I'm not a mom so really can't help too much. But I think you are doing great! I think going on a walk or doing something active outside everyday is good. (I need to do better at that).
    I also think taking some time, maybe even 30 minutes while she is napping or something to do something for yourself is great. I have been making a list of what I really want to do and have been trying to conquer it now that I have more time. I'm not a busy mom like you, though, so I am sure it is harder to figure it out. (That was a long comment just to say I don't have the experience of motherhood to give you the advice you need/want) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you!!! I wish you didn't live so far away!!! And Brinley has hair!! And Teeth!! She is so adorable!! I can't believe how big she has gotten!! Well I hope you guys are doing good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brinley is so darling! I know exactly what you are talking about here, no you are certainly not alone! I haven't done this much, but I try and get around other moms with babies--it helps to have some adult interaction and you get to see how the babies interact. Oliver and I go on lots of walks--lots and lots of em, haha. I also started feeling like I wasn't really taking advantage of me being at home when everything was done and Oliver was sleeping, so I started little household crafting projects! Sewing things here and there, repurposing furniture pieces and picture frames--it's pretty affordable and so much fun. Let's catch up soon, please? :-)

    ReplyDelete