Friday, January 6, 2012

Watching ESPN

We watch a lot of ESPN at our house.  I mean A LOT.  Brent loves sports just about as much as anything.  Other than me, Brinley, and Elsie of course.  Sometimes I even find myself surprised at the random sports knowledge that I have obtained by having ESPN on in the background.

Well all of his ESPN watching came in handy for Brent's school recently.  A few months ago Brent saw an ad on ESPN about a grant they were giving away to schools to obtain sports equipment.  Brent wrote up an essay on how his school is in great need of new weights and sports equipment.  Well, the essay was convincing enough that the school became a finalist to receive either a $20,000 grant or a $2500 grant. They submitted a video of the conditions the current weight room was in, and voila.  A few months later, and he just found out that the school won the only $20,000 grant and is now getting new weights equipment.


Brent is like that.  He sees opportunity in things that I see as futile. He always has confidence that the best can happen.  I didn't think anything would come out of it.  He proved me wrong. That's why I love him. I guess sometimes it is worth the little bit of time it takes to invest in something, even if you don't know if any good will come out of it.   

5 comments:

  1. oh my goodness! that is amazing. Way to go Brent. I would never do that either because I would just tell myself "I would never get picked" or " I don't write well enough". That is so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROCK ON!!!! Brent way to go. That is such a great story, Christa, thanks for sharing it. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christa, you are in big, big trouble : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brent, that is amazing. You are awesome. And Christa, what you wrote is awesome, too. You're absolutely right about Brent and his ability to see potential and his willingness to go after it. Don't worry, he humbles a lot of us! He always has. Love you guys! xo

    ReplyDelete